Home » Ships » Capitan Canepa
Capitan Canepa
Ships
This ship was built for a particular owner Mestrina Tiger Shipyard, Province of Buenos Aires in 1964 and christened "Aeolus". In 1973 it was acquired by the Argentine government for use in the Fisheries Development Project organized by the United Nations. Upon completion of this project in 1975, the "Aeolus" after limited use was decommissioned. In April 1979, was transferred from the Ministry of Maritime at INIDEP where it was repaired, adapted for fisheries research and renamed Capitan Canepa. The name was chosen in honor of the official navy hydrographic Argentina Captain John E . Canepa, and in remembrance of the old ship of that institution "Canepa Captain" who worked continuously for the Naval Hydrographic Service between the years 1955 to 1972 by more than 46 oceanographic cruises. In 1986 he was seconded to the Black River Province. In 1993 Captain returned to INIDEP Canepa, being repaired and renovated between 1994 to 1995. The National Institute for Fisheries Research and Development (INIDEP) acts as operator and owner of the vessel whose home port of Mar del Plata operations.
CONTACT
Instituto Nacional de Investigacion y Desarrollo Pesquero
SPECIFICATIONS
Ship Type
Operating Area
Endurance28 days
Crusing Speed9.5 knots
Lab SpaceThree dry laboratories that occupy a total of 33 m 2, the wet laboratory of 9 m 2 and a sampling plant of 17.5 m 2. Two refrigerated warehouses with a total area of 135 m 3.
Power AvailabilityMain engine Mercedes Benz MTU of 760 PS @ 2000 rpm, two generators of 60 KVA Perkins each. A 4-blade propeller.
Berthing Space10
Deck Space
Telemetry Available
UPDATED ON
29 Mar 2010 14:39